Subject: Re: re. the idea of changing tastes
From: Alan Savada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 11 Feb 2017 15:42:17 -0500

For sure:One of my forst operas at yhe Met at age 12 or so was a dress rehearsal of Siegfried and I detested it for decades. Even when I saw the Deutsche Oper Ring here in DC in the 80s, I still had issues with it. Only when I heard it last year twice(so its been almost 50 years) with the Canadian Opera and in the WNO Ring with Daniel Brenna did I really come to appreciate it.Alan SavadaWashington DCvia the Samsung Galaxy S® 6, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Robert Thomson <[log in to unmask]> Date: 2/11/17  2:25 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: [log in to unmask] Subject: re. the idea of changing tastes
Kurt Youngmann's posting of changing tastes certainly resonated with me, but in connection with a
movie, "Grapes of Wrath", which I saw on Turner Classic Movies last night. I hadn't seen this movie
for years and I was entranced by how good it was. I saw all kinds of things in it which I had not seen
at age twenty-two. One of the themes that really angered me was the exploitation of the poor by the
rich. This got me thinking about such inequities as the very low wage which sets the bar throughout
much of Canada and the USA, also the appallingly low tax rates for the very rich. I don't think I have
ever seen Rousseau's "Contract Social" quoted in mainstream media but his idea that the collective good
should trump the individual's interest is a good one to keep in mind for legislators.
I know we are supposed to post on opera but where does one draw the line? A posting can trigger precious
  insights in fields that go beyond opera.

Robert Thomson
www.godwinbooks.com
(Go to my site, turn the volume up and see if you can guess the singer.)