Subject: carmen
From: kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 11 Feb 2017 13:07:50 -0600

Tastes change. Carmen is an opera I never really cared for when I was young. Recently, all of a sudden, I realized that I do enjoy it.

Of course, my first exposures to the opera was back in the early 50s when Risë Stevens was the gypsy of choice at the Met. I guess she was considered quite sexy or risqué in her day but her sexuality pales in comparison to some more recent interpreters. Probably the most blatantly sexual Carmen I’ve seen in person was Denyce Graves when she appeared in Chicago some years back.

Out of curiosity I ask if anyone else has grown to like operas they didn’t particularly like all that much early on.

Kurt Youngmann

We have evolved to survive reality, not to understand it. - Mark Crislip MD