Subject: Re: Sopranos
From: Russ Geschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 11 Feb 2017 09:12:21 -0600

Hi Garry,

Here are a few we shouldn't overlook:

American-born soprano:  Lillian Nordica (1857-1914) -- from Philine to
Violetta to Isolde to Brunnhilde, the biggest and grandest voice of her
time, her 1907 record of "Hunyadi Laszlo" (Erkel) "Ah rebeges a mi vadul
lelkemet" demonstrates her complete glorious command of all aspects of vocal
technique.  And she was a true soprano, not a "Falcon" or pushed up mezzo.

British-born (literally) soprano:  Much less strong opinion here, would
agree with others suggesting Teyte, Turner or Garden.

British-born (incl. Commonwealth):  Probably either Nellie Melba or Florence
Austral.

Russ G.