Subject: Re: happy birthday to leontyne price
From: "Sklenar, Robert John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 10 Feb 2017 22:00:41 +0000

I never saw her live in opera, but she gave many recitals in Ann Arbor while I was growing up there. I quite vividly remember one she gave when she was well into her fifties, but still in excellent voice; she sang "vissi d'arte" as an encore, and when she launched into the "perchč signor" climax--the three descending notes on one breath, with diminuendo--there was something of the schoolteacher's daughter in the delivery: "now pay attention, class, this is how it's done." Thing is, she was right.