Subject: happy birthday to leontyne price
From: kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 10 Feb 2017 15:02:11 -0600

Hard to believe that Leontyne Price is 90 years old today and that I first saw her over 60 years ago. It was a free recital at the University of Iowa Student Union (which presented great classical artists on a regular basis).

Ms. Price was just then beginning her magnificent career, having recently appeared on network television as Tosca. She came to Chicago, as Liu, in 1959 and appeared as Thais that same season. She was scheduled to sing Aida the following year but a medical emergency kept her from singing the last two performances - one of which, alas, I had a ticket for. So I never got to see what may have been her greatest role. She also sang Butterfly that season.

Price repeated her Aida in Chicago in 1965 but, for some unremembered reason I didn’t get to see her. Nor did I ever have a chance to see her Trovatore Leonora.

She wasn’t the first African-American singer to appear in opera but she did open the doors for many other great black singers to have international careers.

Best wishes to a great singer and a great lady!

Kurt Youngmann

“Christ died for our sins. Dare we make his martyrdom meaningless by not committing them?”
—Jules Feiffer, quote cited widely on Internet, and by Warren Allen Smith in Who's Who in Hell

Modify your settings: