Subject: Re: How far the consequences of the ban?
From: DK Conn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 10 Feb 2017 11:16:06 -0500

From the NY Times:
Mr. Fischer, 66, who is Jewish and lost grandparents in the Holocaust, said that he had
often thought of Jewish musicians’ being singled out and removed from leading
orchestras, including the Vienna Philharmonic and the Berlin Philharmonic, during the Nazi
period, some being exiled and some killed. “Having learned this lesson,” he said, “I have
a very strong determination not to allow that ever to happen.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/08/arts/music/budapest-festival-orchestra-triumphs-
over-trumps-travel-ban.html

Here is some timely programming from American Highways:

AMERICAN HIGHWAYS #74: REFUGEE COMPOSERS
These are troubled times, and given recent events, I wanted to highlight the amazing
contribution refugees have made to American music in the last century. From Bartok and
Kurt Weill up to Tania Léon and Gloria Estefan, as well as the younger generation of Kinan
Azmeh: here is music that will entrance you, delight you, sadden you.
In addition to my usual research, I put out a call for suggestions on Facebook a few days
ago, and got a tremendous reaction – so many composers whom I didn’t realize were
refugees, and so many great musicians I hadn’t previously heard! So this evening will be
followed by more broadcasts on the same theme. – Guy Livingston
http://www.concertzender.nl/programma/american_highways_368239/

AMERICAN HIGHWAYS #75: “I Speak in English Now”
This is the second in Guy Livingston’s series on American composers who were refugees.
Tonight, the lush Hollywood music of Korngold’s cello concerto, and the modernist left-
hand piano concerto of Hindemith. Plus Milhaud’s Création du Monde, and Bukvich’s
Interior Designs.  Tonight’s show opens with the short but topical song “I Speak in English
Now” by Marc Blitzstein, from No for an Answer, a musical written for and sung by Greek
immigrants.
http://www.concertzender.nl/programma/american_highways_373616/

DK

On Thu, 9 Feb 2017 09:01:36 -0800, janosG <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/08/arts/music/budapest-festival-orchestra-triumphs-
over-trumps-travel-ban.html

>An Orchestra Triumphs Over Trump's Travel Ban
>By MICHAEL COOPER / NYTimes
>FEB. 8, 2017
>
>The Budapest Festival Orchestra and its conductor, Ivan Fischer, gave two of the
freshest, least conventional Beethoven performances of the season at Lincoln Center this
week. Music students unexpectedly rushed the stage to join them in a soaring section of
the Fifth Symphony, and incognito choristers popped up among the audience members to
sing the Ninth's "Ode to Joy."

>But the high-energy concerts - part of a five-city American tour that concludes on
Sunday in Boston - were briefly thrown into doubt by President Trump’s chaotically
instituted travel ban. As the orchestra prepared to leave Hungary last week, it was
informed that one of its cellists, a longtime Hungarian citizen, would not be allowed to
enter the United States because he also held citizenship in Iraq, one of the seven
predominantly Muslim countries named in the ban.

>Mr. Fischer - who has become known as a voice for tolerance and inclusion as his native
Hungary has embraced nationalist and staunchly anti-immigrant policies under the
government of Prime Minister Viktor Orban - suddenly found himself having to make the
case for openness to United States officials, whom he called to protest. <snip>