Subject: St John Passion - Bach
From: R PRADA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 10 Feb 2017 01:46:50 -0500

It was a cold, slushy night at Carnegie, and I had the pleasure of hearing the St John for the first time live. I had a CD volume - and it was wonderful. I don’t know where it is at the moment.

The Evangelist, Michael Slattery, wrote a modern translation to be used by the group that used to be the Shaw Chorale. The chorus performed well, the soloists were very good, and the best of them was the Evangelist, Michaels Slattery,

His singing was clear and ring, every word was heard, and the phrasing was impeccable and vivid. The translation was modern in its language and and the simplicity and honesty that made it fit right into the piece. It clarified the meaning, and told this story

in a way that was heartfelt.

The Passion as told by John is quite unlike other versions, It makes the crucifixion the fault of the Jews, and Pilate is an unwilling participant. I suppose that is why it is not give that often. But it is beautiful music and worth hearing.

The St Luke’s Chamber Orchestra is a very fine band.

Nice evening.

I think I heard ab out some other opera stuff coming up soon. I will dig it out.

Modify your settings: