Subject: Re: RIP Nicolai Gedda
From: Scott Grunow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 9 Feb 2017 20:00:59 -0500

Seems like when I first started listening and collecting both opera and oratorio he was omnipresent. In fact, it seems like I spent most of my twenties and thirties with his voice, as he sang in practically every opera and oratorio I liked. Let's not forget his sterling work in oratorio, yes, especially the St. Matthew Passion with Klemperer.

And since Victoria de los Angeles was my first diva, and she made recordings with him, I got to know his voice. When I used to study voice and some of the French song repertoire, I always envied his clear, easy top register. One of my favorite recordings is this:

Le Postillon de Lonjumeau - Adam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUBNwORdR9E

And I agree with one lister about the Hoffmann recording: he nails that part vocally, no small feat, but it's sad his ladies aren't just up to snuff in that recording. Ah, if he had recorded even just the Hoffmann-Antonia act with de Los Angeles a few years earlier than the recording ...

My Dad (who himself is near death in hospice as I type this post) gave me a Cd of a  live lieder recital, knowing I admired his art, which I used to listen to just to marvel at his technique as well as his interpretation.

Scott Grunow.