Subject: Re: RIP Nicolai Gedda
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 9 Feb 2017 17:19:15 -0500

One of my favorite tenors of all time. And I generally find it hard to name top favorites (it's
hard to limit myself). But he was indisputably one of them.

The first time I heard him, as a young pre-teen budding opera fan, was on the Callas
recording of Carmen. Not only did I love the voice at very first hearing, but I also latched
right away onto his dramatic talents - he really seemed to inhabit the characters he
played, even just on record. (I believe the next recording of his I got to know very well was
his Hoffmann - that somewhat flawed yet still fascinating recording with De Los Angeles,
London, etc - and the oddity of a baritone Nicklausse - but with Gedda's Hoffmann always
right on the mark, and always exciting to listen to.)

One of my favorite moments on that Carmen is at the end of the big 2nd act duet, when
he holds that last "adieu pour..........jamais" just a bit longer than you expect it to be
(great bit of word painting, lol). Just one of those fun little nuances that makes all the
difference.

Adieu pour.......... jamais, Mr. Gedda. I will miss you.