Subject: Re: RIP Nicolai Gedda
From: ANGELO MAMMANO <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 9 Feb 2017 15:31:58 -0500

 Gedda was superlative in so many ways.  His ability to sing in many different

languages and in different styles was phenomenal.  He may not have been

happy with his Met career but we were the ones who benefitted by his presence

there.  Luckily I was able to see him many times in  New York and Boston.

The Lakme with Devia stands out, the BSO Damnation with von Stade and

Stewart, so many others.  The last time I saw him was in a cameo role at CG

in Palestrina.  It was the same Gedda sound and the same authority.  The only

disappointment was that he did not appear at the final curtain for the ovation

that he richly deserved.

Angelo from Boston