Subject: Re: RIP Nicolai Gedda
From: Paul Ferraro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 9 Feb 2017 15:05:56 -0500

Mr. Gedda occupies one of the innermost chambers of the Immortal Tenor Hall
of Fame.

What he sang to perfection were the French operas: Werther, Manon, Faust.
Although I was not a fan of some of his Italian ventures such as Boheme &
L'Elisir (I think he even attempted Forza & Tosca later career), he did
excel in I Puritani, LaSonnambula, & controversially, in I Vespri Siciliani.
To those of us blessed with hearing him in the theater, who could ever
forget that secure, steady, ringing top register?  Although Arturo in I
Puritani was a genuine miracle, the one moment that stands out for me was in
La Sonnambula at the end of Elvino's caballeta - Gedda came to the front of
the stage, planted a foot on the prompter's box, extended his arm, made a
fist & held on to the most perfect, exciting top C (or, was it a B natural?)
for what appeared to be a full minute or more.

Thank you for all you have generously shared with us, Maestro Gedda.

Modify your settings: