Re: happy birthday to leontyne price

Bruce Prentice <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 10 Feb 2017 23:24:17 +0000

text/plain

I have documented my first experience with Ms. Price long ago on this listserv in greater detail, but to reiterate (and make it shorter) here goes.
My first experience with opera and with Leontyne, was in grade 10 with my music class (1/2 was the school band, the other was the choir).  It was the choir class and my teacher was preparing the class to see a student performance of Madama Butterfly that was coming up.  To prepare us ahead of time, my teacher was playing the RCA recording iin class.

Well, it was nice warm spring afternoon and the teacher had turned the lights off in the classroom and had the libretto displayed on an overhead projector.  I wasn't interested in following it and put my head down on the desk, just listening to the music.  Act II came and then Ms. Price's "Un bel di" and suddenly it was like a proverbial light bulb went off in my head, and I was hooked at that moment and I will never forget it.  The beauty of her tone and plangent nature of the phrases was just the right mix to catch my ear and my soul at the same time.

I never saw her live in an opera (except that final Aida on PBS), but she came to our city a few timeslater for recitals that were amazing.

Happy 90th Birthday Leontyne and thank you so much for capturing me all those many years ago.

"Volano al raggio dell' eterno di."