Subject: Pinkerton
From: R PRADA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 1 Feb 2017 01:08:22 -0500

Ok I had to think about this. Both CioCioSan and Pinkerton were operating out of fantasy. His belief was that he could have an idyll with a geisha, like playing house. It was a custom currently in vogue. He was young in matters of the heart.

Butterfly thought she could marry, and bond, accepting his religion and culture. She expected to live in America and have the life of an American wife, a much more liberated and respectable life than was available to her in Japan. She thought the American way with marriage would give her a happily ever after.

They never talked to each other, so each projected on to each other.

I have not read the original Belasco, but that is what I took out of the score.

In this story Suzuki and the Consul are the grownups.

The Bonz and all the relatives are also bound by stereotypical responses. But the Bonz is actually dealing with reality when he finds a prince
for his niece.

I see this is a huge and prevalent cultural misunderstanding. Pinkerton gets to. E the ugly American, and he fell into this for lack of experience and a sense of entitlement.

RP

Sent from my iPhone