Subject: German Baritone Samuel Hasselhorn’s Recital in Washington, D.C.
From: Alain Letort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 7 Feb 2017 23:47:48 -0500

Dear Listers:

Tonight I was privileged to attend a recital of German, English, and French
lieder by the young (26) German baritone Samuel Hasselhorn at the UDC
Theatre of the Arts here in Washington. Mr. Hasselhorn was absolutely
amazing. He looks like an angel and sings like one too. His voice has an
exquisite timbre, with in particular achingly beautiful high notes, and his
technique is very highly polished.  He sang with great intelligence,
expressiveness, and feeling. He was equally at ease with traditional German
lieder by Schumann and Schubert as with more modern art songs by Benjamin
Britten and Francis Poulenc.  The voice could be larger, I felt, but
audiences in Lyon in Leipzig will have the opportunity to see him in
operatic roles next season.  I’ll be curious to read reviews.

Unfortunately the hall was half empty and I got the impression that most of
the attendees (including myself) had been comped. I must say I was in tears
by the end, so overwhelmed was I by the beauty of Mr. Hasselhorn’s
interpretations.  He did receive a standing ovation from the audience. After
the intermission, Mr. Hasselhorn gave an affecting little speech about how
there is so much hate and violence in the world, and how he feared that
Germany and the rest of Europe would be under attack very soon He spoke
feelingly about how the train station in his home town of Flensburg, near
the Danish border, had been full of refugees camping out because nearby
Denmark, to which they were headed, would not take them. He dedicated his
encore, Schubert’s “An die Musik,” to music which uplifts our souls and
gives us hope in times of distress and festering hate. He was very warmly
applauded.

Opera fans in Europe will have a chance to hear Mr. Hasselhorn next season,
first as Masetto at the Opéra de Lyon and later in “Carmina Burana” at
Opernhaus Leipzig. I predict a great singing career for this extremely
talented and kind-hearted young singer.

I hope that Washington audiences will have a chance to hear Mr. Hasselhorn
again very soon, perhaps at Washington Concert Opera or Washington National
Opera?

More info about Samuel Hasselhorn is available on his website,
www.samuelhasselhorn.com .

AN DIE MUSIK (Franz Schubert)
Du holde Kunst, in wieviel grauen Stunden,
Wo mich des Lebens wilder Kreis umstrickt,

Hast du mein Herz zu warmer Lieb' entzunden,
Hast mich in eine beßre Welt entrückt,
In eine beßre Welt entrückt!

Oft hat ein Seufzer, deiner Harf' entflossen,
Ein süßer, heiliger Akkord von dir,

Den Himmel beßrer Zeiten mir erschlossen,
Du holde Kunst, ich danke dir dafür,
Du holde Kunst, ich danke dir!

You, noble Art, in how many grey hours,
When life's mad tumult wraps around me,

Have you kindled my heart to warm love,
Have you transported me into a better world,
Transported into a better world!

Often has a sigh flowing out from your harp,
A sweet, divine harmony from you

Unlocked to me the heaven of better times,
You, noble Art, I thank you for it!!
You, noble Art, I thank you!

Cheers and all the best,

Alain