Subject: Opera America Statement
From: Frank Cadenhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 1 Feb 2017 13:46:35 -0500

OPERA AMERICA·TUESDAY, JANUARY 31, 2017
OPERA America believes strongly that robust international artist exchanges are
essential to foster artistic growth, provide new experiences for audiences and
create cross-cultural understanding between the United States and other countries.
The January 27 executive order prohibiting the citizens of seven countries from
entering the United States will have a damaging impact on the entire arts
community.
When artists are unable to come to the United States for guest engagements, the
American public is denied the opportunity to experience unique virtuosity.
Restrictions on international guest artists cost Americans important employment
opportunities when scheduled performances must be canceled.
Soft power diplomacy, including cultural exchange, plays a vital role in enhancing
the United States’ national security by strengthening cross-cultural understanding.
Opera in particular benefits from the creativity of diverse talent that includes
singers, directors, composers and librettists, and costume and scenic designers.
The personal histories and experiences these artists convey every night, on stages
large and small, in warehouses, in schools and in ballparks, make each opera
performance unique and contribute to the continued health of our art form.
OPERA America and the broader arts community have long valued international
exchange as a fundamental element of our artistic work and service to our
communities. International artists have been a valued asset to our performances,
just as American artists have brought their talents to stages across the globe. To
assist in these exchanges, OPERA America has actively advocated to Congress, the
White House and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to make the artist visa
process more efficient.
Great artistic talent should not be restricted by national boundaries. When we deny
artists from select countries the opportunity to contribute to our diverse art form,
the integrity of opera and our country suffers.
OPERA America would like to hear from you on this important matter. If you or
your organization anticipates repercussions from this executive order, please
contact Brandon Gryde, director of government affairs, at