Subject: Re: Rigoletto - among my favorite operas
From: Anthony Perovich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 7 Feb 2017 09:37:19 -0500

Unless I've missed it, no one has mentioned my first recorded Rigoletto,
the Giulini version with Cappuccilli, Cotrubas, and Domingo.  I mention it
in connection with the curse, as this version has the remarkable casting of
Kurt Moll as Monterone.  I can remember how stunned I was on first hearing
his stupendous curse.  Monterone may be a small part, but the plot turns on
his contribution, and things are helped a great deal by having a singer
whose voice can put the fear of God into the listener.  I suppose one can
only have a Moll in this part in a recording, but even here many other
recordings have suffered for me by having a Monterone who does not make a
real impression, at least not the jaw-dropping one of Moll in the Giulini
recording.  (With Ghiaurov as Sparafucile, the bass roles in this recording
are in good hands.)

Nick