Subject: Re: Rigoletto - among my favorite operas
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 6 Feb 2017 17:38:13 -0500

If Jonathon Miller's was the production I saw imported to
the Met about forty summers ago, together with WAR&
PEACE, PATIENCE (!), and GLORIANA, I think it worked
quite well in his "Little Italy, NY setting with the final act
taking place in that classic all night diner inspired by the
Edward Hopper painting; there was nothing too glitzy about
any of it, unlike the current Vegas travesty.

I don't know how the English company succeeded in having the
essential G&S dialogue communicated, but they somehow did so
without any evidence of supposedly forbidden amplification.

Those who happened to hold on to their original 1950ish lp albums
of the Warren, Peerce, Berger RIGOLETTO, also possess the
sumptuous 12 inch square insert with 22 pages of captivating artwork
created by a "Dan Noonan", especially for it.  No cd has ever offered
a       bonus that compares with things like that; it included the
libretto, of
course  -. not unusual in those day.

dtmk.