Subject: Re: Pinkerton
From: Kiwi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 1 Feb 2017 10:54:00 -0500

Just an opinion here but Puccini never cast his heroes in a truly negative
light.  They each had flaws but redeemable--and often admirable--ones.  Even
his bad-guy Dick Johnson was more victim of circumstances than outlaw and he
struggled mightily against his own conscience to justify carrying on his
father's business (he had to care for his family).  Even if you go back to
the dreadful (IMHO) Edgar, the bad boy who seems justifiably bad, in the end
he reveals his true nature.  Calaf, the hero some love to demean, is a
faithful son. a brilliant tactician, and a kind soul.  In his entire
completed works, there is not a single opera in which his hero is a complete
cad.  We may assume Pinkerton is unworthy because we see him through passage
of time and increased awareness.

In contrast, it is his heroines who come across as slightly naïve or simple
minded and discover too late how wrong they have been.  They are usually the
ones who end up paying the ultimate price for simply loving unwisely and too
well.

I think Puccini was gaining insight in his last two operas, both of which
have hero and heroines generally moving (through many tears and much
travail) to a meeting of two equals.  The direction he was heading is was
one of optimism and hope in the redeeming nature of love.  Too bad he was
unable to live longer.