Subject: Re: Rigoletto - among my favorite operas
From: Isaac Alan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 6 Feb 2017 14:00:48 +0000

Actually I think it's about a 16th century Court Jester, but I suppose a Duke does feature in there fairly strongly.

I don't believe that it gets a proper airing any place today, where everything seems to get forced into another, and usually an outrageously modern era.

The maddening thing to me, is the producer's and director's inability to grasp the fact that Rigoletto relies upon the accepted power of a curse, the absence of reliable rapid transport, and the power of a Duke to safely commit a man to execution at will. Very difficult to imagine any of these things aiding the suspension of disbelief, much later than the seventeenth century at the very latest.  Also, Hugo and Verdi were dealing with a dramatic story so obviously set in a previous time.

Regards,

Isaac Alan