Subject: Re: Rigoletto - among my favorite operas
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 6 Feb 2017 13:40:37 +0000

To me, the greatest recording of this opera remains the 1950 Warren/Berger/Peerce recording, followed closely by Gobbi/Callas/diStefano. I also have a great Met broadcast with Richard Tucker, Roberta Peters, and of course, Warren. I don't think it gets better than that.
That old vintage 1950 RCA recording seems like a whirlwind. The drama is put forth in a "thrown in your face" fashion, and the tempi are rather fast, but it seems to pull the whole drama together. The singing is top notch, and the new remastering is superb.
I love this opera.
Les