Subject: Re: Rigoletto - among my favorite operas
From: Isaac Alan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 6 Feb 2017 13:21:16 +0000

Hello Dear List,

I love the opera, it rates within my three favourite operas.  Peerce/ Warren /Berger is a sensational example, Peerce is absolutely on fire in that production and Warren is in every way exceptional. I also love Tagliavini/ Taddei/Pagliughi, but my first ever was Merrill/ Peters/ Bjoerling, and that one has always a special place in my heart and soul. I also hold very dear the magnificent performance of Australian Robert Allman, whose Rigoletto I saw on tour in New Zealand, the company was a mixed bag,  but his characterisation and his singing were magnificent.

The Opera is a masterpiece in my opinion, representing a great turning point in the works of Verdi, a kind of coming of age.

The overture invariably succeeds in casting a spell, and the curtain opens on a brilliant theatrical upbeat, which drives the story forward with great power. The numbers come like a string of pearls and the drama builds upon itself almost perfectly,  via the awful, the cynical and the tragic, right through to the final duet, and Rigoletto's  mournful

Gilda! mia Gilda!... morta!  ......   Ah, la maledizione!

Regards,
Isaac Alan