Subject: Re: Les Huguenots Webcast--FLOREZ
From: A Katalin Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 5 Feb 2017 14:45:42 -0500

Missed it… I was at the HD performance of the Paris Opera’s Les Contes d’Hoffman at one of our local cinemas, which was sensational…. I just realized from online reviews that the Robert Carson production has been around for a while, but it was new to me, and it was the most realized contemporary vision of the opera that I could imagine, brilliant in conception and totally believable regardless of where each scene took place, namely starting on the stage of a theater with Stella as Donna Anna in the second act of Don Giovanni at his party, and moving sideways to the opera house’s bar where the chorus members, stagehands, audience members and maybe a few of the obligatory students mingle behind an amazing bar that rises from below and is seen from the inside of the counter, equipped with shelves, coolers, beer kegs, and drinking glasses. The Olympia scene takes place backstage, looking out at the audience, the Antonia is in the orchestra pit. The cameras unfortunately did not show the exact location in relation to the real stage, if this orchestra pit was just above the real orchestra pit, but it was a perfect reproduction with the stage above the pit where Antonia’s mother appeared and Antonia ran up to and died; Giuglietta was in the stalls (which ondulated to the barcarolle) and the final scene back at the bar. Absolutely terrific, and the most coherent version I have ever seen of this much stitched up opera by various composers and conductors, with bits and pieces I have never heard before.  In addition to Ramon Vargas, whose voice has lost some of its bloom and the high notes were not as effortless as they used to be, but gave a an elegant and committed performance  (of course Jonas would have been heaven here), and Kate Aldrich, always wonderful and sexy as Giuglietta,  I also discovered European talent I had never heard of – Russian Nadine Koutcher, a brilliant nymphomaniac Olympia; Albanian Ermonela Jaho, tragic as Antonia with a gorgeous voice, French Stephanie d’Oustrac , wonderful as the sexy muse and a perfect transformation into Nicklausse, and a terrifically spooky Roberto Tagliavini (is he a relative of Ferruccio – does anyone know?) with a great voice as the nemesis.
 I don’t usually do reports such as this, but I had to share since I assume not many cities showed this HD performance, and I can’t recommend it enough if it comes to your city.
And you Parisian lister (I think there is only one), you are one lucky guy!
Kati