Subject: Re: Rigoletto - among my favorite operas
From: Paul Ferraro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 4 Feb 2017 18:35:50 -0500

Bob - You are being most charitable!  If this was their "best", God help us
on a "bad" night.

Lucic showed no emotion during the short musical show of desperation after
Gilda's abduction to the "ah la maledizion" at the end of the act, & became
more & more tired, forced & hoarse as the afternoon wore on.  The "si
vendetta" duet was a disaster, IMO. Unless he was ill, he "cheated" us out
of  every traditional high note in Rigoletto's music.

After the shipwreck, I indulged in my personal "calmative" by playing what I
believe was Leonard Warren's last Met Rigoletto - the 1959 broadcast with
Fernandi & Roberta Peters - it proved to be a "cure" for the sloppy mess
that we heard today.  I attended that performance & even as a teen, I
understood that we were being treated to something very special by Leonard
Warren's vocal majesty, his interpretation & his incredible superhuman vocal
strength.

After his passing, there have been a few very decent interpreters of the
role: Louis Quiico, Leo Nucci, Peter Glossop, Kostas Paskalis, all of whom I
appreciated greatly, but for me, Warren set the standard.

Regards,

DonPaolo