Subject: Rigoletto - among my favorite operas
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 4 Feb 2017 17:53:17 -0500

from the Met, as heard on WQXR today..

I do love the opera, and I remain convinced that it, among a large
number of other operas, cannot be ruined in performance, and so
it was today.

The performance was not a disaster, but it was not very good. For
starters, all three pricipals ducked crucial top notes, and though not
all were "come scritto", all are pretty solidified in tradition.

Sorry, Volkova, Costello and Lucic were not much better than ordinary,
and at times they were less than that. Lucic impressed me early, but in the
last two acts, he was a lesson in how not to sing in tune, and his top
register was a mess. The others were variable, but, to be clear, they did
not wreck the performance. Every time I thought it would derail, the music
saved the day, and the. singers got back on track.

They did their best, I guess. Morandi conducted well, I thought. The choral
passages are among the greatest things about Rigoletto, and they came off
very well.

It is a very great opera! I was happy enough!

Bob