Subject: Re: Mario Lanza/operettas
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 4 Feb 2017 12:29:27 -0500

Operettas ordinarily contain far too much dialogue, on which they
are dependent because the music alone, splendid as it may be,
usually is not cohesive enough to tell the story.  That is why they,
along with Musicals, do not belong on the operatic stage.

Kalman's GRAEFEN MARITZA, which I have never seen, but am familiar
with in a number of recorded versions, is decidedly not a bore; (I
can't recall whether she's a boor or not);  I often enjoy it as music,
skipping or ignoring the dialogue.  To my ear, it ranks with the best
of Lehar, and I'd rather hear it any day before his MERRY WIDOW.

dtmk