Subject: Re: Mario Lanza
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 2 Feb 2017 14:37:53 -0500

Max, even though he neglects to say how he felt about my doubting the
suitability of a popular novel like REBECCA as grounds for an opera,
remains, as you say, an expert on such matters.

But if you have a problem with the way famous persons are portrayed, how
can you have accepted the infamous Lanza attempt at Caruso?   You must
have been very young indeed.  I can't imagine ACD allowing you to get
away with that!

 And: please forgive me, but, with all do respect, and I know that you
 have many redeeming qualities, (especially if you liked Norma Shearer's
superb Juliet),  you cannot convince me there was ever a time when you
"hated" Wagner, and them learned to appreciate him  - I don't care
"how" - such an assertion happens to negate everything I have ever
known, loved, learned, or experiences, about the hypnotic power of his
music; there has
always been a wealth of non vocal renditions of Wagner's work available,
and it's quite impossible for me to imagine how you failed to notice any of it.

You do not "owe" me an explanation, but I hope you don't  mind my
reaction; ACD was always far less polite than I, when it concerned RW.

dtmk.