Subject: Re: Mario Lanza
From: Idia Legray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 2 Feb 2017 08:05:46 -0500

I watched (or started to)The Student Prince though I am not a fan of the
composer, simply so that I could hear the voice of Lanza, who, like you,
thrills me also. But that movie was so bad to me with the stilted acting of
Purdom and so juvenile compared to The Great Caruso, that I finally
clicked the switch.

I have a problem with watching ANY movie or play where a character is
portraying a famous person like Jackie, Callas, Garland.  They just can't do
it justice because there are too many small details that make up the real
person that are missed.

Having said all that, I owe my thanks to Lanza because had it not been for
him I never would even be on an opera forum today spouting nonsense
about my magnificent obsession.

I also need to thank "Max de Winter" and "AC Douglas".
Max for being like my own private guru.  Through his inspiration and
expertise he taught me more about opera than all my other educational
ACD because I truly hated Wagner (save for T & I music) and thanks to his
guidance on how to go about listening by not allowing the voices -- only
the music -- to become prime, it has been a great help in furthering my
appreciation of Wagnerian opera.

Modify your settings: