Subject: Re: Norma, Lyric Opera 28 Feb. 2017
From: Ken Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 29 Jan 2017 10:17:59 -0500

> I must agree about Silvestrelli. His Oroveso sounded rough, gritty, and kind of shopworn.

The grittiness - I would have said the gravel, even - is exactly what I loved about it. I was riveted. I hear some of the same quality here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6NhJV-L2cw) in a piece I can’t identify, but not here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IptAkeiLzwU)) in the Commendatore scene.

---