Subject: A Dramatic Improvement: Puccini and the creation of Madama Butterfly — News — Royal Opera House
From: Kurt Youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 29 Jan 2017 09:08:53 -0600

This article, which I happened across by accident, has some interesting things to say about Butterfly:

http://www.roh.org.uk/news/a-dramatic-improvement-puccini-and-the-creation-of-madama-butterfly

For anyone interested in the opera's genesis I recommend reading both Long's story and Belasco's play. Another excellent source for information about Butterfly is Michael Kaye's scholarly treatise in the booklet included in the recording of the opera which presents all of its versions. (I'm away from my database at the moment but I believe the soprano in the recording is Maria Spacagna).

Kurt Youngmann

Sent from my iPad