Subject: Re: Matio Lanza
From: Stephen Charitan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 31 Jan 2017 17:47:54 -0500

Even better, if you are willing to supply the Music of the Mind, is the
1927 Lubitsch silent with Ramon Novarro and Norma Shearer in the full
refulgence of their youthful MGM beauty - you also have the benefit of Jean
Hersholt and Gustav von Seyfferitz adding a little Mitteleuropa paprika to
the mix.  Little Philippe De Lacy, Garbo's "son" in "Love" (the silent, and
superior version of "Anna Karenina") plays the younger version of Novarro's
Prince Karl.

While I would prefer to listen to if not look at the tired gloss of MGM in
decline represented by Lanza / Purdom, the '27 version is the vibrant roar
of the Young Lion in its Springtime...

Steve

-