Subject: Cambridge Onegin
From: Angelo Mammano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 30 Jan 2017 10:44:56 -0500

Sunday afternoon I attended a surprisingly very good Onegin at Harvard's
Sanders Theatre.  I say surprisingly because the Boston Youth Symphony
Orchestras are made up of mostly very young kids - the Act 1
concertmaster looked to be about 10 years old and the Falstaff they did
several years ago wasn't up to snuff.  But the orchestras were really good
with a very nice string sound and good solos from the wind section.  The
conductor Federico Cortese is doing a great job with these young'uns.

The semi-staged show was very close to fully staged with good direction,
many costume changes for the soloists and Tatyana actually had a bed to
lie on plus a writing desk, something you don't see every day in this opera.
Evelina Dobraceva  was a believable Tatyana. She looked the part, she has
a lovely Slavic voice, meaning that her voice with its somewhat vibrato-less
sound was just perfect for the role.  Markus Werba was the Onegin.  His
voice and appearance were impressive but Garrett Sorensen was a
disappointment as Lenski.  His voice is lackluster and his acting is minimal.
Jill Grove who seems to be MIA from the Met but very active elsewhere was
a good Filipyevna. The big surprise for me was the Gremin, Sava Vemic.
His voice was strong and full and impressive and got the longest applause
for his aria.  Later this season Boston will get its first Rubenstein Demon.

Angelo from Boston