From: Bob Dilley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 28 Jan 2017 06:10:52 -0500

Forsooth Opera Lovers!

Today we can celebrate the birthdays of:

Spiro Malas (1933)
Louis Herold (1791-1833)
Ezio Flagello (1933-2009)
Vittorio Rieti (1898-1994)
Arthur Rubinstein (1887-1982)

Also, the following works premiered on this date:

Auber's "Fra Diavalo" (1830)
Granados' "Goyescas" (1916)
Donizetti's "Zoraide Di Granata" (1822)

Let us remember the following artists who joined Heaven's Choir on this

Emmy Destinn (1878-1930)
Robert Planquette (1848-1903)
Ferruccio Tagliavini (1913-1995)
Mikhail Ippolitov-Ivanov (1859-1935)

The quote for today is:  "Stories about [the German composer Johannes]
Brahms's rudeness and wit amused me in particular. For instance, I loved
the one about how a great wine connoisseur invited the composer to
dinner. 'This is the Brahms of my cellar,' he said to his guests,
producing a dust-covered bottle and pouring some into the master's
glass. Brahms looked first at the color of the wine, then sniffed its
bouquet, finally took a sip, and put the glass down without saying a
word. 'Don't you like it?' asked the host. 'Hmm,' Brahms muttered.
'Better bring your Beethoven!'"     Arthur Rubinstein.

As always, a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY to our birthday artists for today and
all forum members who share their birthday with them.

 ARTISTS' EVENTS salutes these artists for their enduring contributions
 to the world of classical music.

 ARTISTS' EVENTS honors the following Hall of Fame peerless artists for
 their profound contributions to the world of opera:

 Tenor of all tenors Enrico Caruso (25 February 1873-2 August 1921)
 Coloratura prima donna assoluta Erna Berger (19 October 1900-14 June
 Soprano prima donna assoluta Rosa Ponselle (22 January 1897-25 May
 Prima contralto assoluta Fedora Barbieri (4 June 1920-4 March 2003)
 Baritone unequaled Leonard Warren (21 April 1911-4 March 1960)
 Basso profundo of all bassos Ezio Pinza (18 May 1892-9 May 1957)

 In memory of the following first rate artists for January 2017:

 Primo tenore  Mario Lanza (31 Jan 1921-7 Oct 1959)
 Coloratura stupenda Emmy Loose (22 Jan 1914-14 Oct 1987)
 Soprano prima donna Pilar Lorengar (16 Jan 1928-2 Jun 1996)
 Contralto assoluta Irena Arkhipova (2 Jan 1925-11 Feb 2010)
 Baritone unparalleled Antonio Scotti (25 Jan 1866-26 Feb 1936)
 Basso profundo Vladimiro Ganzarolli (9 Jan 1932-14 Jan 2010)
 Distinguished virtuoso Jacqueline Du Pre (26 Jan 1945-19 Oct 1987)
 Preeminent conductor Wilhelm Furtwangler (25 Jan 1886-30 Nov 1954)
 Premier composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (27 Jan 1756-5 Dec 1791)
 Featured premier Enrique Granados' "Goyescas" (28 Jan 1916)

 "Mas Canciones," Linda Ronstadt
 "Canciones de Mi Padre," Linda Ronstadt
 "Jardin Azul: Las Canciones Favoritas," Linda Ronstadt
 "Greatest Italian Songs," vol 1, Connie Francis
 "Greatest Italian Songs," vol 2, Connie Francis
 "Spanish and Latin American Favorites," Connie Francis
 Bing Crosby: "White Christmas," with sales of over 100 MILLION copies.
 Also, he was the best recording artist of the 20th century with over
 half a BILLION records in circulation.

 May ARTISTS' EVENTS put a smile on your face and a song in your heart
 each day.

 Pace e Gioia,

 Bob Dilley
  (He Who Dares Wins)

-- - Does exactly what it says on the tin

Modify your settings: