Subject: French style in Saturday's HD R&J
From: Louis Perraud <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 22 Jan 2017 16:41:51 -0500

Greetings,

  Listers have rightly noted that in Saturday's Rome, French style seems to have drowned in Grigolo's Italianate warmth and Damrau's passion, but to my ears in surfaced in at least one performance, that of Elliott Madore as Mercutio.  Though the effect of his `Queen Mab' was ruined by that boor who screams bravo on the beat after every aria, at least on HD it was delivered with flexibility, only light vibrato and a cool tone that reminded me of Ernest Blanc, the French baritone who delivered so many fine performances in his native repertoire.  Madore's web site says that he is scheduled to do a staged Pelleas with the Cleveland orchestra in the Spring. I hope it is broadcast.

Louis