Subject: Re: Parsifal
From: Don <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 27 Jan 2017 16:39:42 -0700

Parsifal was only the second opera I ever saw at the Met when I was in
fifth grade, my first being a student performance of La Boheme with Lucine
Amara as Mimi.  I had a standing room ticket so I stood through the entire
thing.  The cast included Charles Kullman, Astrid Varnay(a bit past her
prime for that role) and Schoeffler with Stiedry conducting.  I remember
act 2 where Varnay came out on a motorized flowerbed which putt-putted
across the stage but got stuck and had to be pulled off by stage hands.  It
was a dress rehearsal so no big deal.  Kullman was having a discussion with
the conductor and was fighting his way through the scrim at the front of
the stage.  Funny what we remember.  The odd thing is that apparently
something stuck with me concerning that opera.  Maybe it was the mystical
elements because for years I could not imagine them rehearsing it; they
just arrived and sang their parts and played their instruments
miraculously.  Even though I have played scenes from the opera in the
symphony here, I still have that wonderous, childlike feeling about the
opera.  Years ago I somehow managed a front row seat for  a performance
with Levine conducting, Jon Vickers and Christa Ludwig in the cast, my
favorite live performance of that opera.  The gorgeous sounds coming out of
the pit overwhelmed us and, of course, Vickers and Ludwig were
incomparable.  The finest vocalized Gurnemanz I heard live, tho', was
Cesare Siepi.  I have to say that Parsifal is not my favorite Wagnerian
opera but I have to have a large dose of it every Easter.
dond

--
It's amazing how useful it can be.