Subject: Re: Carreras and his rep
From: Don <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 27 Jan 2017 06:37:09 -0700

I was fortunate to see the production of Mignon in Santa Fe in 1982 with
von Stade and Gianna Rolandi.  Well staged and well sung, it made the case
that it should be done more often if you  have the right singers.
Later in 1989 von Stade came bounding onto the stage as Massenet's
Cherubin, an irresistible portrayal of that character in an opera from
which I had never heard a note until then.  I had my handy digital tape
recorder in my pocket(thanks Tony Randall for the idea) and managed to get
it all recorded in  reasonable sound and have enjoyed it for all these many
years.  More recently we saw several performances of Massenet's Cendrillon
with di Donato and that opera has been seen in other houses with much of
the same cast and with the same production.  We've been very fortunate in
the repertoire in Santa Fe and I have not even mentioned all those Strauss
operas we enjoyed many of which we could have never seen anywhere except at
the Strauss festival in Germany.
dond

--
It's amazing how useful it can be.