Subject: Re: Carreras and his rep
From: Tom Frey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 27 Jan 2017 01:09:55 -0500

I would hope for Lakme also
----- Original Message -----
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 00:27:05 -0500 (EST)

Speaking of which, I wonder if we'll ever see a real revival of Thomas' Mignon in our lifetime, which for some of us, aint' gonna be all that long. It's got some great tunes, three great singing roles for lyric mezzo, tenor, and coloratura soprano, and there are singers around who could surely do it. I've got the Sony issue of the 1945 Rise Stevens broadcast from the Met, and I've listened to it several times. Am surprised that the Met didn't think of it in the decade of the 1950s with a cast like Stevens, Valletti, and Peters. Mignon enjoyed great popularity in the earlier part of the Twentieth Century (I even have a 1938 Jennie Tourel broadcast - in decent sound for it's time), but I guess it's now a dead duck. Just out of vogue, perhaps?