Subject: Re: Parsifal
From: Stephen Charitan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 26 Jan 2017 14:36:09 -0500

Ken,

Not to speak for Jean, but I think she feels as I do that if the staging
offends you could easily close your eyes and still have a satisfying even
transformative experience...In Parsifal and Tristan it might be advisable
to have a general idea of plot points, but this is some of the most
subjective / suggestive music ever written.  The more familiarity you have
with it the more you will find in it and the less necessary "trappings"
become. There aren't many works where the words themselves can cease to
matter, but in these two word for word translations can often detract and
even diminish.   From a vocal standpoint, the recent MET production on DVD
with Kaufmann / Pape / Mattei - Gatti is Wagnerian Bel Canto - there is
plenty of religious symbolism - but not what I would call relentlessly or
even predominantly Christian.  I think the visuals are enhanced when the
work is released and allowed to fly beyond traditional Catholic /
Protestant rituals and symbolism...

Steve