Subject: Re: Parsifal
From: Ken Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 26 Jan 2017 11:43:49 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Jean Scarr

In those days, "Parsifal" was treated as a religious experience ie a church
communion service.  No applause except after Act II.  Like "Tristan" the
opera stands on the musical score, not stage action.  It is a transformative
experience, much like the "Liebestod".

No applause? That's fascinating. But unless I misunderstand you, you're not
saying that the transformative experience depends upon the music alone,
never mind the libretto. Given that I don't understand German, I need
subtitles to follow the libretto. The only production I've seen is the one
from Vienna recently available on The Opera Platform. Can anyone recommend a
DVD? Thanks in advance.

Modify your settings: