Subject: Re: Parsifal
From: Jean Scarr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 26 Jan 2017 11:26:21 -0500

I would second Steve's suggestion re "Redeemer Reborn" by Paul Schofield.  I first met Paul in 1988 in Bayreuth.  He was thinking about "Parsifal" as the 5th opera of the "Ring" at that time.  He has some very compelling ideas about the subject.  Paul is a Buddhist monk.  His book reflects  Wagner's interest in that religion, especially in "Parsifal".

"Parsifal" holds a special place in my love of opera and more specifically Wagnerian opera.  At some point, probably in the 1930's my father took my mother to a Met performance of "Parsifal" as a birthday present.  My mother slept through the performance.  That was the beginning and end of my mother's operatic experience.  I was the beneficiary.  When I was old enough, my father took me to the opera.  That was the beginning of a life-long love of that genre.  I saw "Parsifal" as a teenager.  Melchior sang the title role.

In those days, "Parsifal" was treated as a religious experience ie a church communion service.  No applause except after Act II.  Like "Tristan" the opera stands on the musical score, not stage action.  It is a transformative experience, much like the "Liebestod".  Wagner composed truly great music, but none as fulfilling as the sublime ending of his final work.  Jean