Subject: Re: Singing the roles the voice loves
From: Russ Geschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 26 Jan 2017 06:24:45 -0600

So it is!  Thanks.  Other OperaListers may be interested in knowing that there are also offered on amazon.com somewhat more affordable used issues of the performance, ranging in condition from "like new" to "acceptable."  One issue, by "Opera Live Productions," attributes the performance to "San Francisco 1965" but that is wrong: I checked the online San Francisco Opera archives and in the 1960s Mefistofele  was only done in the 1963 season and with an entirely different cast.  So that issue is certainly the 1965 Chicago performance.  Thet OLP issue received one review, which was severe (headlined "Bad sound, give it a pass" and complaining of "Very poor sound, drop outs and choppy editing . . .") which however does not describe the sound of the "Great Opera Performances" issue I have.