Subject: Re: Politically Incorrect "Nixon" - HGO response
From: Wendell Eatherly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 26 Jan 2017 05:59:10 -0500

On Thu, 26 Jan 2017 02:19:54 -0500, Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Yes - I think that's correct.
>
>But - does anyone know of any productions that have used white singers? (Not counting
>the few actual white roles like Mr. Archdale, of course.)

I know Lisa della Casa sang in it in Zurich. Her "Opera News" obituary says she sang
Clara, but other sources say Serena. Perhaps she sang both, in different seasons (see
below).

From wikipedia:

"On March 27, 1943, the opera had its European premiere at the Royal Danish Theatre in
Copenhagen. This performance is notable as it was performed by an all-white cast in
blackface during the Nazi occupation. After 22 sold-out performances, the Nazis closed
the production. Other all-white or mostly-white productions in Europe took place in Zurich
in 1945 and 1950, and Gothenburg and Stockholm in 1948."

Maybe I'm wrong, and there are still exceptions, but I think these days European
companies try to use black singers. For example, Copenhagen, which had an all-white
cast in 1943, had another production in 2014 with black singers.

http://seenandheard-international.com/2014/03/porgy-bess-copenhagen-great-operatic-
experience/

or

http://tinyurl.com/z55u6qt