Subject: Re: Singing the roles the voice loves
From: Russ Geschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 25 Jan 2017 20:43:54 -0600

Hello,

You may already be aware of the following, but just in case you aren't:
There exists a "Mefistofele" recording with a cast similar to the memorable
Philadelphia performance you mention.  That recording is of a "live" Chicago
Lyric Opera performance dating from October 1965 and featuring Ghiaurov,
Kraus, Tebaldi and Suliotis; the conductor is Nino Sanzogno.  The sound
isn't bad, quite reasonable really.  It was issued on two CDs by an outfit
that called itself "Great Opera Performances."  It shows up occasionally on
eBay, through which I obtained my copy.  The CD booklet gives the
performance date as 6 October 1965, but Davis "Opera in Chicago" in its
rather cursory (and I have been told somewhat unreliable) chronology of
performances gives "Mefistofele" as the season opener on 8 October 1965,
with subsequent "Mefistofele" performances on 13, 16 and 18 October 1965.
Ah the glorious Carol Fox days; she had successors at LO but no equals.

Russ Geschke