Subject: Re: 1940 Fille du Regiment on Sirius
From: Mike Leone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 25 Jan 2017 21:12:30 +0000

Hi Lane--
I seem to recognize that division, but maybe it's from hearing it on Sirius.  I think even an "ending" to Act I was tacked on to what was originally there.  According to a review in the New York Times of the December 28, 1940, broadcast, "the original two acts became three, with two additional scenes added to those asked for by Donizetti's libretto."  I suspect that what Sirius is broadcasting represents how the opera was performed at that time.
Mike Leone
[log in to unmask] il Leone!