Subject: Re: R&J yesterday went my way (HD in Virginia-1-21-16)
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 22 Jan 2017 12:25:40 -0500

Read the play; there are a lot of things in it that Gounod's librettist
glossed over.  Maybe they chose to assume that a play so well known
would not need to have each and every incident set to music.

The "apothecary" scene, FYI, is one of Shakespeare's most admired; in
it, Romeo, having been told of Juliet's entombment, buys poison and
resolves to join her in death.  I wish Gounod had seen fit to included
it instead of
writing music for a seldom performed ballet that is supposed to precede the
potion scene.   I mostly love the work, but think the composer's
inspiration began to falter at this point. The potion aria never
sounds like the dramatic
highlight it should be; we get a tuneless display of overwrought
colorotura instead.

dtmk