Subject: Re: Politically Incorrect "Nixon" - HGO response
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 25 Jan 2017 13:24:10 -0700

I don't even know why they bothered to respond to this idiocy.  I remember
years ago when Welsh actor Jonathan Price was asked to reprise his role
from the London stage at the New York staging of Miss Saigon and there was
a big uproar in NY because he was white.  No matter he was from the
original cast.  No matter the character was Eurasian.  The first principal
in casting is talent.   Nothing else matters.  If they write an opera about
Orangeman in the White House and want to cast a Martian, who cares as long
as he can sing. This is almost as stupid as the big fuss made about Otello
hot having dark make up or Aida and Amonasro wearing make up.  Who cares?
I know at least two black tenors who would be great, great Otello's if
given the chance.  I think our hang ups on race in this country is one of
the reasons the great Leontyne Price never essayed the role of Desdemona
which would have been a perfect fit for her, or Elsa in Lohengrin for that
matter.  Race doesn't or should not matter.  Period.

Donald