Subject: Re: Politically Incorrect "Nixon" - HGO response
From: Mary Hanks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 25 Jan 2017 14:14:21 -0600

Below is a statement from Houston Grand Opera, which was posted on their
Facebook page:

https://facebook.com/houstongrandopera

--Mary

Houston Grand Opera

Statement from HGO Artistic and Music Director
Patrick Summers and Managing Director Perryn Leech regarding cultural
casting questions in opera

 HGO welcomes discussion of how the 400-year-old art of opera can adapt to
reflect today's cultural concerns. Opera companies across the country are
actively working to engage with these issues and to reflect the diversity of
our communities. Ten years ago, HGO began working with Houston's minority
communities to develop operas that celebrated Houston as a meeting place for
Eastern and Western cultures, exploring stories heard from immigrant
communities of China, Azerbaijan, Iran, Cambodia, Korea, Japan, Vietnam, and
India. The company received the Leading Lights Diversity Award from the
National Multicultural Institute for that work and became a model for opera
community engagement across the nation. In 2010, HGO presented the world
premiere of the first mariachi opera, Cruzar la Cara de la Luna, followed by
a second, El Pasado Nunca se Termina, in 2015.

Opera is, of course, primarily a vocal art, and HGO casts performers on the
basis of talent, not ethnicity. That is why the company did not hesitate to
cast two African-American singers as Adina and Belcore in The Elixir of Love
earlier this season or a Chinese singer as Dr. Bartolo in The Marriage of
Figaro last season, among many other examples. HGO staff travel around the
world to identify extraordinary young talent for our Concert of Arias vocal
competition and our young artists training program, the HGO Studio. Through
these programs, HGO has enlarged the pool of minority artists who are
prepared for international careers at the highest levels and has actively
promoted the careers of many gifted young performers of various races and
ethnicities. Korean soprano Pureum Jo, one of the principal singers in
Bright Sheng and David Henry Hwang's new opera, Dream of the Red Chamber, is
a 2016 graduate of the HGO Studio.

We recognize that we can do more to engage community leaders in discussing
the work of adapting and evolving opera for our time. We have already begun
conversations to address cultural stereotypes in Mozart's The Abduction from
the Seraglio, which we will present later this season, and look forward to
expanding the dialogue.

By uniting powerful stories with music and especially with exquisite voices,
opera can profoundly penetrate our inner world. That is why the art form
continues to speak to audiences across centuries. HGO is dedicated to
sharing opera's beauty, meaning, and humanity with all Houstonians even as
we acknowledge that there is room for change.

January 23 at 6:28pm  Public