Subject: Re: Singing the roles the voice loves
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 25 Jan 2017 11:06:33 -0500

Roberta

I agree with you in the largest sense, but, it should be noted
that Kraus did push those limits when he sang Faust in Boito's
"Mefistofele", a role whose history leans much more to the
spinto than the lyric. I saw it in Philadelphia, and, I have to say,
he was wonderful. There was no sign of strain, which leads me
to believe that he could have sung heavier music than we are
accustomed to hearing. It was, incidentally, my first exposure to
Nicolai Ghiaurov, and I'm still not over the magnificence of his
voice that night, or his whistling, which brought 2000 people
to their feet.

Bob