Subject: Re: R&J yesterday went my way (HD in Virginia-1-21-16)
From: "Mitchell, Katalin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 22 Jan 2017 16:49:54 +0000

Dear Idia, about both your points.
Yes, it is assumed that Romeo never got the message, which was the case in
the play.  He arrived to die by Juliet’s tomb.  So the opera assumes
everyone knows.
Regarding the lady walking around, it is the same point I made yesterday
about Bart’s directing of opera. He does not know what to do with any
extended choral scenes, and always has to fill the stage with action, so
the audience has something to look at at all times.  Just check all his
other productions, you will never see an idle moment when a chorus is
involved. He is great directing individual actors in their moments
together, but group scenes are overcrowded and busy busy busy…
On 1/22/17, 11:32 AM, "Discussion of opera and related issues on behalf of
Idia Legray" <[log in to unmask] on behalf of