From: Anthony Perovich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 24 Jan 2017 16:24:46 -0500

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 11:24 AM, donald kane <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

To say you "love" Wagner without "getting" PARSIFAL arouses a
> suspicion of prejudice based on subject matter, because Wagner's final
> work is a summation of all that he strove to achieve as a composer and
> dramatist.

Maybe, but this doesn't seem quite right to me--at least it does not seem
to reflect my own situation.  I'm a philosophy professor who has been drawn
to and read a lot of Schopenhauer over the years, and I've also read with
great interest my share of the secondary literature on Wagner that treats
of his relation to Schopenhauer, and to philosophy and religion more
generally.  I, at least, would characterize myself as someone who loves
Wagner:  when I make decisions to travel any distance to attend an opera,
it's usually Wagner I'm choosing, and when I listen to recordings of opera
Wagner is certainly disproportionately represented.  I'm also a Christian.
And yet PARSIFAL does not have the allure for me that the RING or TRISTAN
or MEISTERSINGER or DUTCHMAN do.  I'm not happy about that, and I hope over
time it will change.  But whatever my problems, they don't seem to me to be
either that I don't really love Wagner or that I suffer from "prejudice
based on subject matter."  If not "getting" PARSIFAL means that I'm
convinced that there is a level of appreciation for and inspiration from it
that others enjoy and I don't, then I guess I'd say I don't "get"
PARSIFAL.  If that means I don't really love Wagner, then I'll just have to
come up with another term to describe my joyful immersion in those other
works.

Nick