Subject: Re: Parsifal
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 24 Jan 2017 14:03:03 -0700

Parsifal was an easy get for me.  It's not my favorite Wagner, I still
prefer Gotterdammerung, Walkure, Tristan and Fliegende Hollander.  My first
Parsifal performance was with Cesare Siepi as Gurnemanz. Christa Ludwig was
the Kundry.  Siepi could have well been intoning the Manhattan phone book
for all I cared.  The longueurs of Gurnemanz's endless narratives passed
quickly.  I was thus able to truly embrace the beauties of this score.  I
never really took Wagner's philosophy seriously, preferring to bask in the
glories of the music

Donald